Boards of directors, boards of managers, SPAC boards, executors, corporate management, trustees, investment bankers – all are responsible for a transaction but have potential or perceived conflicts of interest regarding the effects of a recapitalization, cash-out dividend, merger, acquisition, divestiture, or other transactions.
Our valuation professionals provide a fresh independent perspective to fiduciaries, financing sources and investors for public and private company transactions.
Having an advisor whose compensation is not reliant upon the execution of any form of a proposed transaction is a more reliable source to provide a clear perspective to those with fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders.
Our Transaction Opinion team collaborates with our internal Financial Valuation, Energy & Infrastructure, Machinery & Equipment, Real Estate, and Cost Segregation professionals to provide the value opinions our clients require to consider, execute, and report a wide range of transactions including:
- Dividend recapitalizations;
- Merger & acquisitions;
- Divestitures and joint ventures;
- Bankruptcies, reorganizations, and restructurings.
We experienced an increase in opinion activity in late 2020 due to private equity dividend recapitalizations for well-performing investments, and fairness opinions for distressed transactions. The same continues in 2021. Our team is responsive, nimble and knows how to get the project done on the timeline that the transaction requires.
As a firm, our industry experience is greatly diverse. For more detailed information about a few specific areas, see our pages about:
Examples of our Transaction Opinion experience include:
- Solvency Opinion for a $1.2 Billion dividend recapitalization transaction;
- Real estate valuations, relative value analysis for shareholder interests in multiple funds, and Fairness Opinion on a UpREIT (consolidation) transaction prior to an IPO;
- Fairness Opinion of the purchase and sale of operating renewable energy projects from one fund to another fund prior to IPO;
- Fairness Opinion for the executor of an estate that held a large stake in a manufacturing operation that was put up for sale as a result of the decedent’s death;
- Fairness Opinion on the sale of an ESOP controlled company to a private party;
- Letter of Adequate Consideration on an ESOP transaction;
- Solvency Opinion on a shareholder distribution and buyout of nonemployee family members from a family business;
- Fairness Opinion and Solvency Opinion on a shareholder buyout and recapitalization of a private produce packaging company;
- Examples of more specific recent experience can be found on our 2019 and 2020 Year In Review.
For more information on these services, see the links to the right or contact the professionals listed below.